Visitor Monitoring
We use cookies to help us improve website user experience.
By continuing to use this site you agree to our use of cookies. See our cookie policy

Car Insurance

Enter a question in the search box, browse questions by topic or read the most popular questions below.

Do I need my insurance certificate to tax my car?

Not in most cases. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) stopped checking insurance when they tax a vehicle in December 2013.

If you'd like a paper copy of your certificate, just log in to MyDocs to print one out. Or you can add paper policy documents to your policy for a little extra a month, and we'll send you one. Call us on 0344 209 0841 if you'd like to do that.

You can tax your car online at If you've just bought new insurance or a new car, or you have a new MOT, you might not be able to tax your car online. So you can call the DVLA on 0300 123 4321 – they'll be able to help.

As of 1 October 2014, you don't need to put a paper tax disc on your car windscreen any more. You still have to pay the tax but the DVLA holds all the information for you instead.

Was this answer helpful?

Please select Yes, Partly or No